Batteries - The Go Juice!
Click to enlarge
The Batteries in the Front
Click to enlarge
The Batteries in the Front
The car runs on a 120 volt traction pack consisting of 20 - 6 volt Trojan T125 traction batteries. The photo above is the front of the car with 8 of the batteries and at the bottom of the pic is the K & W onboard charger. After a full day of driving (approx 60 miles) this charger will recharge the pack overnight. In the the left photo you can see the remaining 12 batteries.

In the photos of the rear battery compartment you would usually see a controller but the DC Power 600 controller is mounted in the center hump where the gas tank use to live. On the drivers side sidewall is the throttle control box and on the passengers sidewall is the 12 volt battery. I use small 33 Ah AGM motorcycle battery for the 12 volt system. Tucked in the very back, on the passenger side (not really visible), is the vacuum pump for power brakes. With the additional weight, this IS A MUST!

I just recently finished tearing apart the car and cleaning up the engine compartment and what I guess you could call a trunk. It was getting very dirty with corrosion, dust, dirt and etc. So I took apart the car, scraped and cleaned the metal and rapainted it. You can see the details of this update on the "Clean Up" Page. I got some before and after shots so you can see how bad it was and how good it looks now. I finished that project in September of 2008 and after a month of driving it around, I can see my changes have really helped. The main change that has kept everything looking so clean is removing the battery watering system. I think that was mostly designed for stationary batteries like a PV system or maybe a Fork Lift (which doesn't bounce around much). But in a car, it made the fluid spill out too easily and the tops of the batteries would always be wet and start the corrosion process. After a month of driving around, the batteries are still dry, it would normally only take a few days and the batteries would be all wet. So I am hoping my batteries stay cleaner and hold their charge better because it isn't spilling out its fluid any more. The things we learn from trial and error!

I added a screen shot of my spreadsheet where I have been keeping track of my voltages of the batteries with the Desulfators. You can see how the batteries are coming back to life. That information is found on the "Misc Info" Page. The batteries haven't really gained any much over the last few weeks (11/13/200), so I will be trying some other stuff to see if I can get them to come back even more. So far not too shabby for 5 year old batteries (First Quarter 2003 Trojan Stock) and getting close to 6 year old batteries.
Last Updated: